Brexit is Brewing!

If you are from the UK, this article is for you. 

With all the news tightly focused on COVID 19 at the moment, it's all too easy to forget about Brexit, which is still happening and will be complete by 2021, unless, by some remote chance, it's extended again! Of course, this only affects people from the United Kindom and as far as your wedding or holiday in  Spain goes, it's not going to be too much of a problem, but there are some important factors to consider!  You will be able to travel to Spain visa-free for up to 90 days in every 180 days, however, you cannot work or study in Spain without special permission. 

How will Brexit affect my wedding in Spain?

Health Cover (Very very Important):

One of the most important aspects of Brexit is that the current EHIC card (formally E1-11), will cease to be valid in Europe, meaning you will not be covered in a health emergency. So it is vital for anyone from the UK, travelling to Europe to have travel insurance, as you will NOT have any cover for an accident or problem with your health while in Spain! This includes all your guests, as, without this cover, you could be left with a bill running into thousands of pounds should you have a health issue while abroad!

If you have any pre-existing conditions, you must also declare them when purchasing insurance, as unlike with the EHIC card, the travel insurance may not automatically cover you for them! We cannot stress enough how important travel insurance becomes for UK holidaymakers visiting Spain in 2021 and beyond! We have had a client from a non-EU country cut his foot on a piece of glass while in Spain, not having insurance cover, his bill was in excess of 1,600 Euros, this could soon be the same for UK citizens without travel insurance! 

Of course, Travel insurance can cover you for many other things as well as health, such as robbery or loss, cancelled flights, repatriation etc. Always check what your insurance covers you for as policies can vary, but please, please ensure you are insured before travelling to Spain!

Driving in Spain after Brexit.

There will be new paperwork required before you can drive, or hire a car here in Europe after the Brexit transition period has expired, you will need to apply for an International Driving Permit (IDP), especially for longer visits, which can be bought at post offices for around £5.50. This is the only major change to driving in the EU after the Brexit transition period is over.  However, in Spain an IDP may not be needed, so if you are flying here direct, you should be OK. If you are driving through other EU countries to get to Spain, then please check what IDP you may need on the UK .gov website link below

Passports need at least 6 months left to run!

Please Ensure you have AT LEAST 6 months left on your passport before it expires. You may not be allowed to travel within Europe with a passport having less than 6 months validity. It's a good idea to inform all your wedding guests about this, as some people may forget until it's too late! 

From 1 January 2021, for travelling in the EU, you will need to have at least six months left on an adult or child passport to travel.

Keep an eye out for changes!

There are still some ongoing negotiations between Spain and the UK, so changes could happen at any time. Marbella Bride will always try to inform you of these changes as soon as we become aware, but it's also a good idea to keep a check on the UK Governments official website, click the link below.

Ideas and extras for your wedding in southern Spain..

Situated on the Costa del Sol, Malaga coastline of southern Spain

Specialist in the planning and provision of weddings and events

Professional services for weddings and special occasions, Marbella Bride.

Mark Antony Borrow

Event planner Spain
Wedding planner Marbella